The predecessor of the Chinese Forest Society was the Chinese Forest Society founded in April 1917. It was established in Nanjing at the initiative of Ling Daoyang and others and supported by Jin Bangzheng and Chen Rong. The chairman is Ling Daoyang, but the society has not existed for a long time. In 1928, under the initiative of 32 people including Liang Xi and Ling Daoyang, the organization of the Forest Society was restored and renamed the Chinese Forest Society, with Yao Chuanfa as its chairman. After the founding of the People's Republic of China, it resumed the activities of the Forest Society in 1951 and was named the China Forest Society. It joined the China Association for Science and Technology in 1958. The meeting place of the society is located in Beijing. The previous directors are Ling Daoyang, Yao Chuanfa, Liang Xi, Zhang Kexia, Li Tongzi, Chen Rong, Zheng Wanjun, Wu Zhonglun, Dong Zhiyong, Shen Guofang, Liu Yuhe, Jiang Zehui and Zhao Shucong. Currently, they are the 11th Council.